Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Day 46 Drs Appt tomorrow

Saturday was a BAD day. Mom threw up before I got in at around 9:30am. They dr had ordered a cough medicine which she took and promptly came back up. Not a good day with the nurses either. She had to go to the bathroom around 10:30. We waited and waited and finally I helped her go on the bedside commode. After she was all done they came in to help her. I went to wash my hands and heard her call my name and I knew what was coming. I grabbed the garbage can as there was nothing else there and she threw up and threw up. While she was doing that I called the nurse and told them what was happening. I waited and waited. I finally went to the desk and asked for a basin so she wouldn't have to throw up in the nasty trash can any more. The CNA came in to bring a basin while I went and got a wash cloth to get wet. I asked her to empty the trash and she just said the nurse would be in. We waited another 10 minutes before the nurse ever came in with something to give her for nausea. She put the garbage can back by her bed and I told her there was vomit in it. She spent several seconds trying to see if it was really there and said didn't the CNA empty it. I assured her she did not. So she finally emptied it.

A while later mom said her stomach really hurt so they gave her a pill pain med. Doesn't make sense to me since she had already thrown up twice. Praise God it stayed down.

They came in and said they were transferring her back to the 4th floor which they did at dinner time, 5pm. When she got to the 4th floor I asked if they had a tray for her, they brought in bar-b-que chicken. I told them she had been sick most of the day so they brought her soup, applesauce and jello. Charlene stayed with her that evening and helped her get some dinner down. It ended up being a 9 hour day.

Vacation was short we left around 9am Sunday. We went to Ft Myers, visited Sanibel Island, laid at the pool and was home by 3pm today, Tuesday.

Story goes Dr came in Sunday morning said port was leaking too much, took her off the IV blood thinner and checked her INR. It was 1.9 so released her. Not sure of the timing as they didn't call me. I found out Sunday evening when I phoned mom on her cell and she told me she got home about 5pm. Thank the Lord for Charlene!! She got her home got her pain and nausea meds. Guess she threw up Sunday evening too.

I talked with mom today 3:30pm and she said her follow up with dr is tomorrow at 10:30am. We are supposed to talk with the chemo nurse for a good while about chemo. Hummmm not like we haven't been through it once already. Because this dr doesn't usually do chemo in the hospital I think I need to talk with them about giving chemo info to their patients before chemo. Things seem to be backwards right now. The nurse at the hospital on Saturday sure didn't know what the side effects of chemo were or if anything she was going through was from the chemo.

Mom said she had pain and tried to take a pain pill and threw it up. I told her she either needs to take them with meals or after she had taken her nausea medicine. I spoke with her again around 6pm and she had eaten a little bit but didn't try to take another pain pill. She is NOT drinking or eating enough. We will have to discuss this with the nurse tomorrow, not good. Everything I had read says you MUST drink a lot or the chemo will really wreak havoc on your kidneys.

More to come...........

No comments:

Post a Comment