Friday, June 11, 2010

Day 50 going crazy and updates

Oh man, I tried to start this post and kept weirding out on the dates until I figured out I was looking at the calendar for May.

Wednesday we went to our chemo education day. Charlene went with us. My aunt wanted to go but it was just too overwhelming for me to deal with that too. We didn't really learn anything new. One great thing out of this appt. was that the nurse told my mom everything we have been trying to tell her and she had to sign papers saying she had been told about everything. She also enforced what I have been telling her about taking in fluids but now we have an amount 64oz each day.

She has to have blood drawn every week to check her INR (blood clotting), CBC (http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/cbc/test.html), BMP (http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/bmp/glance.html) and then every 3 weeks they add CA 125 (http://www.medicinenet.com/ca_125/article.htm). A decreasing level of CA 125 means that chemo is working.

We have to see the dr or nurse between every chemo visit. Our next scheduled visit is the 18th. Her next chemo has been scheduled for June 24th. It will be a long visit as we have to drive 20 minutes to get there. The chemo nurse already told me they will probably be behind on appts but still wants her there at 10am.

As I am typing this I received a call today from my aunt. She just ate and threw it all up. I told them to call the dr as she has thrown up everyday since she has been home.

The home health care nurse came today about 3pm and I arrived just as she was beginning to get all the info. She said she was glad I arrived as neither of them could remember why she went into the hospital? She was VERY good and through. Her blood pressure is a little on the low side for her and when she stands up it drops 10. Her port is still a little swollen and her tail bone is getting bad again so the nurse said to use her cream again. I am glad the nurse will be coming again tomorrow to check her blood pressure. The nurse wants me to bring my scale once a week to weigh her to see if she is losing anything.

I went clothes shopping for her after I left to get her some t-shirt type tops to try as with her cotton ones she keeps pulling at it where the port is. I hope they work. She needs comfortable clothes for chemo and for being at home instead of wearing her nightgown and robe all the time.

Yesterday I stopped by and washed her hair. It is beginning to fall out. The nurse asked her how she felt about that and she said there are worse things.

Thanks for all your prayers!!! We need them!

No comments:

Post a Comment